I'd never read a part of "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare before. It was not on the class schedule in my school and - to be honest - this is not the kind of literature I would choose to spend my leasure time. But I've heard the story without knowing every detail.
Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading it. I needed Nathan's help to understand the meanings of some old fashioned English words, of course. The most I like the figurative language, especially used when Romeo describes how beautiful Juliet, the woman he adors so much, is. He compares her complexion to the stars and the daylight and what nowadays we would see as exaggeration, seems to be natural because it fits into that past time and play.
Amazing is that about 400 years after "Romeo and Juliet" was written the central point of the story can still be an issue today: Two people cannot get married, because their families cannot get along with each other. One should think in our world where so much has changed and so much more is possible everything should be easier, but it's not.
I had been to Verona and have seen the balcony a long time ago. If I should ever be there again I am sure I will think of the Writing class of the ELI and the people I met there.
No comments:
Post a Comment