Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Personal reaction to Daniel Kahneman about the riddle of experience versus memory


Daniel Kahnemann talks about a topic that is very interesting for most people. Who doesn’t want to know how to achieve happiness in life? As for me, there are some statements which I’ve already heard and some that are new for me.

For example, I’ve heard that money doesn’t make happy or happier, but it is good to have some. Daniel Kahneman tells about a study that proofs this statement. I believe him. Living with only little money, the anxiety not to know how to pay his/her invoices, affects every person and you cannot be happy to live like this. And I also agree that a lot of money doesn’t make you happier.

I am also aware that we recall our memory when we tell a story. History for example is not what happened but rather what is told about what happened, and that can be different. Fortunately we often remember the good things in our lives.

New for me is his examples about the two patients and the pain they can remember. Although a patient demonstrably suffered less pain than another patient, he remembers more pain only because his pain ended on the peak of the painful experience. I don’t know how I would decide if somebody asked me to choose between these two alternatives.

However, I agree that what really counts is being satisfied and this has mainly to do with our relationships to other people, especially the people we like. We tend to make or like to see them happy and therefore are happy ourselves. Life can be so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment