Thursday, 6 October 2011

The Epic of Gilgamesh - Personal reaction

The Epic of Gilgamesh written by an unknown author and translated by Andrew George is a challenging task to read. The language used in the ancient time was very different to the one we uses today. Nevertheless, without understanding every single word I hope to have understood at least the major part of the story.

Very unusual for me is the repetition of words, sometimes also entire sentences. Living in a "fast world" I realise how much time the people must have had during the time of Gilgamesh. At that time, I assume, it must have been a pleasure to listen to the stories that travellers had to tell; and as longer as better.

However, the story has an abrupt ending and I feel sorry that Gilgamesh has not gained eternal life.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to live in an ancient time and live on a farm as our life speed now is too fast.
    The story is too difficult though...but thank you for sharing your opinions about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the repetition of words. I felt strange too, and made me bored. Nathan taught us in the class about the reason why they need to repeat the words, and it is very funny.

    ReplyDelete